Monday, September 10, 2012

Being vs. Doing

So I'm sure most of you are wondering what kind of work I am doing over here in Belfast. That seems to be the number one question that I have been getting. What are you doing?

The obvious answer is I will be involved in several programs including PAKT(Parents And Kids Together), Sticky Fingers, Messy Church, Beavers, Youth Fellowship, KidzOwn and a few others. However, that's not really what I'm "doing".  By planning, helping and participating in these events I am able to make connections and relationships with the people, which is really what my year is about. I am "doing" so much more just by being.

As YAV we talked a lot about being vs. doing. Something that really struck me was on one of the handouts we got, it said, "In any type of mission experience, there is a healthy tension between being and doing. Embracing both aspects of ministry is a key part of a successful YAV experience. In our culture, much value is placed upon what we do and achieve. If we cannot show that we are “usefully” occupied or point to the evidence of our work, we can feel a sense of failure or a lack of purpose because our culture values doing. We often see the act of just being present as wasted time or leisure... Allow God to use you whether you are being or doing. Often times one leads richly to the other."

For me, this is a hard lesson to learn. I'm so used to just doing whatever job needs done in an effort to be helpful. However, sometimes just being there is way more important than anything you could possibly do. I need to remember to really be present in the moment. As I attempt to conquer this concept, I will be reminded by these words...

"In the secret, in the quiet place
In the stillness You are there.
In the secret, in the quiet hour I wait,
Only for You, 'cause I want to know You more" In the Secret, Chris Tomlin

So I challenge you to not worry so much about what you are doing, but instead just be and listen and watch for God in the stillness. Take time to just be and you might be surprised at what you've been missing. "Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions." Psalm 119:18 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment