Thursday, November 8, 2012

YAV Retreat

I can't believe its been over two months since I arrived!! So much has happened in what feels like such a short time! Most recently I went on a retreat with the YAV to the Mourne Mountains. It was amazing! I really enjoyed getting to spend time with the other YAVs when we could all just relax and have fun. For those who haven't been to the Mourne Mountains, if you get the chance you need to go. It's so beautiful there!

While we were there I got to visit both the Anglican St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Catholic St. Patrick's Cathedral. Both were very beautiful! I mean just walking around and seeing all the details in the artwork and the building itself were amazing! Art History would have been way more interesting had I been able to actually see the original artwork, like in these Cathedrals. Art really comes to life in person.

Some other fun things on this trip include feeding a horse, sitting by the fire, playing card games, cooking, and just relaxing in general. My favorite thing was probably going to the beach on the last day. Courtney, Grace, Kathryn and I got to put together a devotion on the beach.

As some of you may or may not know, I love the water! Any chance to go swimming or just be near the water and I'll take it! So getting to experience a time of worship on the beach was truly incredible! A part of our devotion/worship was to go off on our own for a little while, pray and pick up a rock.

Needless to say, I now have my own little rock collection in my room. All are from different parts of Northern Ireland. I like having them there because they serve as a reminder of a time and place where I felt God's presence.

The Lord said, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 1 Kings 19:11-12 (NIV) 

In the secret, in the quiet place
In the stillness You are there.
In the secret, in the quiet hour I wait,
Only for You,'cause I want to know You more... 
Chris Tomlin "In the Secret"

No comments:

Post a Comment